Where do I find a good real estate agent?
The better question is, do I need a real estate agent when buying a house? At Van Bruggen Adviesgroep we think you do. Especially if you are an expat. The Dutch housing market can be complex and has been under high pressure since a few years. Especially in the main cities such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Eindhoven and The Hague it can be a real challenge to find a suitable home. Local expertise is an essential key to success.
Anybody can call himself a real estate agent in The Netherlands. You need no permit, education or other requirement. Our advice is to choose an agent who is a member of a national organisation such as NVM, Vastgoedpro or VBO.
So, what does a real estate agent cost and what can he or she do for you?
The assignment usually starts with the search for a home and ends with the transfer of ownership at the notary. In this case, the real estate agent performs the following work:
- Search for a home.
- Determine the property value.
- Conduct research into the home, for example into legal restrictions.
- Plan and coordinate appointments, open houses, showings, and meetings with clients and other real estate agents.
- Negotiate the price
- Advise on the purchase agreement
- Assist the transfer of ownership at the notary
In addition to a full mediation assignment, an intermediate form is possible. You then do a part yourself, for example plan and coordinate appointments, and you outsource part to the agent, such as determining the home value and negotiating the price.
Costs of a real estate agent
A real estate agent asks a fee (sometimes called commission) for the work he performs. This fee is negotiable. The fee can be a percentage of the purchase price or a fixed amount. Always request a quote from multiple real estate agents so that you can compare. And check carefully whether the quote is with or without 21% VAT.
Always make clear agreements with your real estate agent. Agree upon at least the following points and put them down in writing.
- What activities will the agent perform.
- Amount of the fee you have to pay.
- Extra costs in addition to the fee.
- Penalty for withdrawing the contract.